Thursday 5 July 2012

Strawberry Shots and Plum Filled Plots #2 - 'Spins A Web, Any Size...' The Amazing Spiderman Review



Spidey knew he'd left his bloody contact
 lens somewhere...  
 
During the aftermath of the overly ambitious puke-stain that was Sam Raimi's 2007 flop Spider-man 3, it was announced that due to 'disagreements' between Raimi and Sony, the Spiderman franchise was to receive a re-boot scheduled for 2012.


   Well dear reader, I went to see this re-boot after a long 4 or 5 years of highly strung anticipation on opening night (is anyone else seeing a pattern here?) and after the huge build up of excitement and after the person sat next to me had to ask me to calm down because I seemed to be vibrating slightly, all I can say is that I was disappointed.

 Highly.

Again, I love Spider-man. The original films, the comics, the TV cartoon series, the whole universe, all of it genius.
However, this new re-boot left me with a feeling akin to when someone promises you a huge piece of chocolate cake but when you open your mouth to bite into the rich, chocolatey bliss, that person instead crams a handful of nachos into your gaping wide squeal-hole...

Not unpleasant but not exactly what we'd been promised.

   The first thing that struck me was that for all the promises of this being a movie focussing more on how Peter Parker dons his spandex and becomes the web-slinger for the first time, it didn't do that much more of a better job than the original 2002 version. The back story is there but it has no real sticking power. Peter seems very quick to accept his powers and seems immediately set on leaping around New York in brightly coloured pants, saving the cities fair citizens.
   Also, after the death of Uncle Ben, Peter is seen briefly crying at school but then the plot moves swiftly on. The death of his Uncle, the man who raised him in the absence of his real parents is barely mentioned again and Peter's desire to find his Uncle's killer seems to shrink into nothing as the ball eventually gets rolling into the main plot.

   However, in the re-boot vain, this film sticks more to the comics in that Peter designs his own web shooters; an aspect that was slated by fans in Raimi's adaptation. However, this played no real part in the film and did nothing to add to our opinions of Peter or the drama of the story. In fact, he doesn't even make the webbing himself but instead orders it in batches directly from Oscorp (possible sequel there?). It wasn't a problem necessarily but I felt the action could have been improved ten-fold had he suddenly run out of web fluid and needed to refill his web shooter as he frequently does in the comics.

Also, Rhys Ifans is here as famous Spidey villian The Lizard. However, the overall design of the Lizard doesn't feel like the Lizard that appears so much in the literature. Although Ifans plays the 'Jekyll and Hyde' mad scientist 'Curt Connors' very well here, he doesn't look or feel like anything really reptilian. He looks like a man made to look a bit like a lizard with some cheap C.G.I. There's no signature snout or torn lab coat. May I ask why? Why change what all the fans grew up with? What is the gain?

   Wow this makes it sound like I'm really slamming it...

It really wasn't bad. But then that's just it isn't it?
   It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great either. 

   I love Spidey and any kind of action movie but I have to say, I was mildly entertained at best. For an exciting re-boot and re-imagining, it didn't grab me as much as I had longed it to (and indeed as it had promised to).

 I wanted it to enthrall me and take me away to the Caribbean for a saucy weekend of love. I wanted to come home and find it lying naked on a pool table covered in beer and Skittles.
    However it felt more like an errant child who had brought a drawing home from school done in macaroni and glitter glue. It's crap, but you know you have to put it on the fridge in order to appease it. It felt like it was constantly trying to please but never seemed to be able to successfully do so. 

   It could have been so dark. It needed a 'bat-man, Christopher Nolan-esque' re-boot. Not a Marc Web 'I've-only-directed-one-other-film-that-wasn't-remotely-action-oriented-and-it-was-shite-anyway...' re-boot. It needed someone like Danny Boyle or Gore Verbinski who understands the gothic architecture of New York and the slightly frightening side of Spidey himself. 

   Having said that, it was nice to see a slightly more Ultimate Spider-man take on the character. Where Toby Maguire's Spidey was fairly stocky and built, Andrew Garfield's Spidey is tall and spindly, gangly where Maguire is thick and actually fairly amusing where Maguire is cringe-worthy in his humour.

   All in all it wasn't bad but it had so much potential that was never explored. It was a very safe film. The plot is predictable and weak; it didn't really excite enough. I didn't get the impression that people sweated over the plot too much. It just sort of came together and they stuck in on the script and sent it out. It could easily have been the plot to another film. Bio-chemical threat in the last twenty minutes but everything is cleverly sorted by the hero just in the nick of time. No real effort, no real planning or direction, just apply a template from another film and pretend no one has seen anything like it before.

   All in all, it was okay. Not bad at all and worth a watch if you've got some free time but this is not the Spider-man that I had been waiting for.

Total rating of 3/5 I reckon.

   Anyway I must run, some giant Lizard just crawled out of my toilet and is currently shedding it's skin on my living room floor... Oh for goodness' snake...

Rob out.


1 comment: